Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thrifty Green Thursday - Craig's List Find

I love Craig's List. I search daily in hopes of finding a treasure. I've gotten lucky with a few things and love the idea of updating the pieces I find.

For this Thrifty Thursday, I'd like to share a bookshelf I found on Craig's List for Meg's room. I paid $50 - it had the right dimensions and was actually made of wood.



I bought it from a mom who decorated it with stencils for her little girl 10 years ago. Now her little girl wants a "big girl" room. I was going to repaint it, but I couldn't bring myself to cover her work. Besides, I have a girly girl who loves hats, purses and shoes!

I did want to change it a little, so I decoupaged scrapbook paper to the back of the shelves.

Don't look too close, this was my first attempt decoupaging furniture. There are definitely a few air bubbles and places where the pattern is not lined up.


Now I'm on the hunt for a couple mirrors, bench and dresser. Can't wait to see whose trash may become my treasure!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful result! I can't believe that you're apologizing for it's imperfection. It looks quite stunning from where I sit. Thanks for sharing your thrifty green brilliance with us this Thursday!

Rebecca said...

I had never considered decoupaging furniture before reading this. It's a great idea for Craigslist furniture, which may have some imperfections.

I was looking at Sunset magazine in a coffee shop the other day, and it was also about dressing up Craigslist furniture. You should send in this picture of your own handiwork!

Thanks for joining us again for Thrifty Green Thursday!

EnviRambo said...

We love Craigslist, too!
Have you tried freecycle yet?
Another way to score great items, for FREE!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

That's a cute revamp. I'm sure the bubbles won't show once you load up the shelves with books and toys. :)

Sara said...

lllooovvveee craigslist here too!
I love how you added the paper, it's beautiful. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Wendy said...

Here's to Craigslist! And a little decoupage never hurt anything either ;-)

suzannah | the smitten word said...

beautiful! what a great idea.

Kimberly said...

Awesome! I love this, and such a great deal!

ever changing said...

Oh I love your blog so much! Thanks for visiting my blog and introducing me to yours! You have some great ideas and I am sure I'll visit you often, first I need to go through past-posts......
Thanks,
Wish

Diane MacEachern said...

Wow - what a great way to "recycle" and still make something your own. Great idea!

Allie said...

That's awesome! I love the decoupage detail.