Monday, February 11, 2008

Warning: Blogging May Make You Feel Like Your in Middle School Again

When I started blogging a few months ago I had know idea insecurities from my past would raise their ugly heads. In some ways I feel like I'm in middle school again. Thankfully, I know how the story ends. I will eventually grow up and realize things I think are so important now won't be in just a little while. Oh, the joys of maturation!

  • Then, I anxiously waited for the cheerleading try-out list to be posted. Now, I anxiously wait to see when I'll be added to someone's blogroll.
  • Then, I checked my locker on a regular basis to see if anyone left a note. Now, I check my inbox on a regular basis to see if anyone left a comment.
  • Then, I wondered if I had on the right pair of jeans. Now, I wonder if my design and template are fashionable.
  • Then, I nervously waited to see if I would be asked to the Spring Fling dance. Now, I nervously wait to see if I'll be tagged for a meme.
  • Then, I thought every other girl was prettier and smarter than I was. Now, I know there will always be prettier and smarter blogs out there.
But in the end all the growing pains were well worth it. I made friends with a wonderful group of girls and gained the security and confidence needed to go on to bigger and better things.

I have a feeling the same will be true for my blogging experience.

18 comments:

Pink Dawn said...

LOL! Funny and true! Right there with ya! Wanna swap links? Then we can both be one step closer to being with the in crowd! heehee!
dawn@pinkwithsparkles.com
www.pinkwithsparkles.com

Tiffany said...

How true! I have not thought about it that way, but it is a perfect parallel. I have to keep telling myself that I blog for myself and if other people read it, it is a bonus. Hang in there!

happyhome said...

Good analogy. Funny, but no matter how old or wise we become, we still have our own insecurities. Thankfully, with wisdom also comes the realization you mentioned in your last point...there will always be people smarter, prettier and funnier. Our job is to be all He has called us to be. Comparisons be hanged! LOL

Alana said...

Go check my blogroll ;-)

I remember feeling this way especially in the beginning. Before long you'll have more comments, blog friends,and memes than you can manage!

Anonymous said...

What a neat comparison! Lots of us can identify with that! Onward and Upward!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Oh my gosh. I can SO relate! And you know what's even worse? When someone drops you off your blogroll. Just wait till that happens. Not that I am bitter or anything.

I have to confess - I've gotten lazy about my blogroll because I knew I had the move coming up and I am totally redoing it. When it is FINALLY up, you'll TOTALLY be on it, girl.

And also, don't forget, you may have been insecure in middle school, but you went on to become a C-H-I O-M-E-G-A (cue Rush chants) and that has to count for something! Maybe you'll be in the "big leagues" before you know it. :)

Mandy said...

Now THIS is an awesome post! And isn't it so true? I call it Blogger's Performance Anxiety. I'm still looking for a cure. I suppose getting over myself is the first step. LMAO!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Very apt!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

too funny. this is all so very true. :)

Kimberly said...

I ditto all of that! I thought email and facebook was bad, now blogging is taking over!

storyteller said...

Funny post … mirroring what most (if not all) new bloggers feel.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

This is great!! I have felt the same way and even deleted my blog 2 times and changed the name...ironically my blog used to be called Journey Thru Grey...for the spaces between black and white as well so I was intrigued when I saw the name of your blog!! How do you get your page so unique...I am not a programmer...did you make your own template?

Thanks so much for the honesty in your posting!!

Take care and have a great day!!

Going Crunchy said...

Oh, that's funny. I'll leave a comment so you have something in your "inbox" today too!

I enjoy it very much, and it gets my creative juices going. I also like the dialogue about issues, especially when I don't have many around me that are very 'crunchy.'

I do it mostly because it just makes me happy....... Shannon

Maxine from Texas said...

So true, so true. I just started a blog, mostly because I had all this stuff going on in my head and had to get it out and I was tired of my friends giving me the crazy eye when I talked about making my life greener. So good luck to both of us - although you look like you've got things down pat! Maxine

Unknown said...

This is so true. I do the same every day.

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

Alana, what a funny and TRUE post you have written. You are an excellent writer!

Anonymous said...

I have read several of your entries...You have blessed me greatly!
much love
Jami

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I can really relate to what you've said in this post. This week has been one of those "back to middle school" weeks. I need to console myelf with chocolate and then write a wacky post for tomarrow.