Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday #2 - My Thoughts

How can it be that I manage to go through a whole day without one single worrisome thought, but as soon as I lay my head down ready to rest my weary body, my thoughts rise up and demand my full attention.

They say, "we have been waiting patiently all day and now it is our turn". As the dutiful, nurturing mother I am, I say, "sure you crazy, irrational, and irritating thoughts let me pay you some attention. I know I will be able to address all of your concerns and questions right now so I'll sleep later".

After listening to them whine for several minutes I think - wait a minute - I'm not falling for this - you guys don't control me you are just my fears and insecurities talking. I am sending you on your way so I can get some much needed rest. But these thoughts are determined and as if it were game day, they dress out in full pads and come after me . . . hard.

What if you go into labor early, What if there is something wrong with the baby, What if Meg and Davis have a hard time adjusting to a new baby, What if you don't have enough love to give to everyone, What if you can't take care of three children (did I mention these thoughts are irrational).
OK- so that's how you want to play - fine. I have something stronger than pads - I have prayer. I tackle these thoughts - pinning them down to the ground until they agree to listen - and I pray.

Matthew 6:33-34

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
And my thoughts rest . . . at least until bedtime tomorrow night. So my "Tackle it Tuesday" assignment for this week doesn't involve a room in my house, but rather a room in my head. A room I will organize and keep tidy - free from worrisome thoughts with prayer.

3 comments:

Heart of Wisdom said...

This is a room we all need to work on. Kudos to you for facing your fears with prayer.

BTW, When God supplies the lamb he supplies the pasture.

I have a new homemaking blog
http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome

Anonymous said...

This is a very difficult tackle. One thing that helps me is keeping a notepad and pen next to the bed. When I have a thought that is keeping me awake, I write it down. Even if I just write down a main word, it helps me get back to sleep.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to turn it all off at the end of the day. For me, it's really the first chance I've had all day to even think for myself. When my fears and anxieties keep me awake, I just switch into a little mantra in my head - I don't know where I learned it - but I just repeat to myself, "Lord, grant me peace." I'm usually asleep before I can say it three times.

Also, I remember this goofy sign above the potty (!) at my mother-in-law's house. "Give your fears to God when you go to bed...he's going to be up all night anyway!"