Monday, January 18, 2010

From Goodwill to Pottery Barn

A few months back I picked up this beauty at Goodwill.  I was drawn to the little rope detail of the frame.  It was only $5 and in great shape.  I definitely hid it from the kids though - have you ever seen a scarier clown?



I'd forgotten I'd ordered these from Pottery Barn awhile ago.  I can't remember what my original plan was for them.  I thought about the Goodwill frame and decided there was probably a good way to put the two together.




I covered a self-adhesive foam board in linen.  Popped out the clown paining and used a staple gun to attach the board.  Then I simply hung the keys from some finish nails pushed right into the foam board.  The project cost around $25 and makes a nice addition to our living room.


Check out Kimba's site for more DIY projects.  

18 comments:

Hattie said...

cute! I love old keys. That clown really was scary - what was the artist thinking?

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I like it! I always check at the thrift stores to see if I can find any old keys. And the clown was definitely skeery. *shudder*

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Cute keys.

Creepy clown.

Jane said...

Yikes that is a scary clown. So glad you put that frame to a better use!

laurmela said...

Love It! I always am looking for old keys!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Thank goodness the clown is GONE! Yikes. The framed keys look wonderful ... great job on repurposing!

Jane said...

Crazy clown! Crazy cool framed keys! I especially love the color of the frame.

Beth Anne said...

wow, that was some clown, but the frame is beautiful, and I love the look

Barbara Matson said...

Glad that clown is gone - scary is right. I like what you have done with it - the keys look great!

A.Akers said...

So cute and I love old keys! I love a gal who see the oppurtunity in a scary painting like that. The frame is beuatiful.

GreenStyleMom said...

Cute, cute! I just put a new print in an old frame... why didn't I think to blog about it?!?

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Ha, that clown IS scary! Great job on the new frame. :)

Jennie said...

Welcome Back. We've all missed you!

Delightful Dwelling said...

EEk, that clown is scary! I love the end result with the keys though, very pretty.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

I just bought those key from PB yesterday! (Saw them months ago and waited till they were on clearance with free shipping - score!)

I love the way you grouped them.
Nice (cheap)beautiful frame, too!

Allie said...

I am so impressed that you saw that painting and were even able to look at the frame! I can't take my eyes off that clown. :)

The end result is beautiful!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Cute! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely project. I don't think that I would be creative enough to see the potential lying behind that awful clown. Bravo, well done!